Dr. Girinath M R
MBBS, MS – General Surgery, MCh – Cardio Thoracic Surgery
Cardiothoracic Surgeon, 51 Years Experience
- Medical School & Fellowships
- MBBS – University of Madras, 1993
- MS – General Surgery – All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, 1996
- MCh – Cardio Thoracic Surgery – All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, 1999
- Fellowship – Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, Melbourne
- Fellowship – Indian Association of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, 1995
Awards and Achievements
- Dr. B C Roy National Award – 1997
- Padma Bhushan – 1998
- D.Sc. (Hon Causa) Dr M G R Medical University 2002
- LIFE TIME Achievement Award Indian Association Cardio Vasular Thoracic Surgeons Has headed the cardiac surgery unit of Apollo Hospitals, Chennai since 1984.
- The unit has done close to 40,000 heart operations of which 29,000 have been coronar bypass operations including 14,000 on a beating heart.
- Has pioneered congenital Heart Surgery and Heart Valve Surgery in India.
- Has trained nearly 30 Cardiac surgeons in India.
- Has helped Heart Surgery units in Sri Lanka, Mauritius, Bangla Desh and several centres in India such as at Ahmedabad, Nagpur and Bhopal.
- Has 45 years of expierence standing in Cardiac Surgery Performed nearly 25, 000 open-heart operations in the last 16 years.
- One of the first surgeons to obtain the MCH degree in Cardio Vascular Surgery in India (1969)- a pioneer in cardiac surgery for infants, coronary bypass surgery, multivalve replacement and cardiac transplantation.
- Trained over 20 surgeons who, together, perform 20% of the cardiac surgeries done in the country today.
- Recipient of many national awards including the Padma Bhushan in 1998.
- Been at the forefront in establishing coronary bypass surgery as a standardized and safe procedure in India (thus reversing the trend of patients going abroad for this facility).
- Presented over 275 papers at national and international conferences and made around 20 orations including the Subroto Memorial Oration and the Sadasivan Oration.
- Participated in the first multi-organ transplant in India (Heart, Liver, Kidney and Cornea).
- First surgeon to repair a complex congenital heart defect in a child below one year.
- First to apply heart, lung machine-supported Coronary Angioplasty in India.