Dr. Purshotam Lal
MBBS, MD, AB
Chairman – Metro Group of Hospitals and Director – Interventional Cardiology
Cardiologist- 43 Years of Experience
Dr. Purshotam Lal is an internationally acclaimed Interventional cardiologist, who has dedicated himself to the service of humanity, especially the poor and the needy. Dr. Purshotam Lal has been trained at world renowned medical institutions in UK, Germany and USA. Dr. Lal is a Fellow of American College of Cardiology; American College of Medicine; Royal College of Physicians (Canada); Indian College of Cardiology & Society for Cardiac Angiography & Interventions (USA). Dr. Lal has the unique distinction of introducing largest number of procedures in the field of Interventional Cardiology for the first time in the country (he has more than twenty ‘firsts’ to his credit) such as Slow Rotational Angioplasty, Coronary Atherectomy, diamond drilling of arteries (Rotablator), Non-Surgical Closure of Heart Hole, Non-Surgical Aortic Valve Replacement, etc. Dr. Lal has developed new techniques of Aortofemoral Bypass Support (Partial Artificial Heart) and opening of tight heart valves with Echo without Cath Lab. He performed the first case of Non-Surgical Heart Hole Closure (ASD) with Monodisc Device and Aortic Valve Replacement with Core Valve for the first time in the world. His name has been listed several times in the Limca Book of World Records.
- AB (USA)
- FRCP (C)
- FSCAI (USA)
- Member, Cardiovascular Research Society (Germany)
- Member, British Cardiovascular Interventional Society (UK)
- Member, Standing Committee, ESIC, Govt. of India
- Member, Delhi Medical Council
- Formerly: Member, Board of Governors, Medical Council of India
- Member, Expert Committee for Medical Devices, Ministry of Health, Govt. of India
- Member, Central Council of Health & Family Welfare, Govt.
- Introduced the Largest number of procedures for the first time in the country such as Rotational Angioplasty, Diamond Drilling, Heart Hole Closure, Stenting etc.
- Played a major role in the clinical development of Monodisc Device and Performed the first case of Heart Hole (ASD) Closure on 20 year old Suresh Babu of Tamilnadu in Sept. 1992, it being the 1st case of the World.
- Performed the first case of Aortic Valve Replacement with Core Valve, without surgery on July 12, 2004 at Metro Heart Institute, Noida on Mr. G. P. Ojha 68 Years old, , it being the 1st case of the World.
- Developed his own technique of Left Atrio Femoral bypass support (Partial Artificial Heart) for high risk Interventional Procedures and performed the 1st case in high risk Aortic Valvuloplasty in July, 1990 for the 1st time in the Medical Literature.
- Developed his own technique of opening tight heart valve (Mitral Valvuloplasty) under ECHO guidance only, without Cathla and performed the 1st case in 1995.
- Introduced INOUE Balloon, the most popular balloon for opening tight valve, for the 1st time in the country & was designated as 1st Investigator in India by the Toray Co. Japan
- Developed a new concept of METRO CORONARY SCREENING for the patients who have been having phobia of conventional coronary angiography. It consists of coronary angiography through the elbow, echo and blood studies. It takes 5 minutes and patient goes home within 1 hour. Performed more than 11,000 cases with 100% success, the largest series in the world.
- Performed more than 20 cases of VSD closure after the heart attack being the single largest series in the world.
- Performing the largest number of angioplasties/stenting as a single operator in the country and as per “Heal Health Magazine” the largest number in the world as a single operator.
- Introduced more than 20 interventional procedures for the first time in the country such as Coronory Athrectomy, slow rotational angoplasty, rotablator etc.
Awards and Achievements
- Listed several times in “”Limca Book Of World Records””.
- PADMA BHUSHAN awarded by the President of India
- Jawaharlal Nehru International Excellence Award
- Distinguished Achievement Award of Highest Order, National Body of Indian Medical Association
- PADMA VIBHUSHAN awarded by the President of India
- Life time achievement award, Delhi Medical Association
- PADMA SHRI, awarded by the President of India
- Rajiv Gandhi Excellence Award
- Dr B C Roy National Award for innovations in Interventional Cardiology
- Dr. V V Shah Oration Gold Medal ,Cardiological Society of India